Information meeting at the EIB - Tuesday 23 September
Last Tuesday, Union Syndicale Luxembourg (USL) held an information meeting for staff of the European Investment Bank (EIB), at the Bank's premises.
Various aspects of our staff union were highlighted :
- the role it plays in the various European Institutions in Luxembourg and beyond;
- its action program for the defence of all staff of all institutions and bodies in the EU orbit;
- its activities at individual level (legal assistance, training, advice on problems in both professional and private life).
In the ensuing discussion, various questions and concerns of EIB staff were addressed, in particular:
- the added value of having a staff union at the EIB : negotiations, possibility of collective agreements;
- the scope of possible agreements with the employer: applicable to all staff, without prejudice to individual appeals;
- the "concertation procedure", as it now functions at the EU Institutions: technical and political level;
- the possibility of work stoppages;
- the complementarity of the activities of staff unions and those of the Staff Committee.
In view of the specific nature of the activities of the EIB the example of the ECB, where the staff union IPSO is now active and officially recognized, was discussed as well.
The USL wishes to thank the Administration of the EIB for the technical assistance, and remains at the disposition of all staff for additional information and for assistance in setting up an USL delegation at the EIB.
Luxembourg, 9 September 2014
Open letter to the staff of the EIB
USL is without a shadow of a doubt the trade union or staff association that is most representative of the European civil service in Luxembourg.
Some facts and figures: USL which has some 1,000 members, is represented in all the institutions in Luxembourg and plays a leading role in the running of the staff committees at the Commission and the Court of Auditors.
USL also has a presence in union activities at international level as a member of the European Trade Union Confederation.
US is also proud of the success of its action at the European Central Bank, experience which could benefit us at the EIB.
In response to requests from members of staff at the EIB, USL would like to set up a union delegation as a permanent structure within the EIB and as an interlocutor for the EIB, cf. ILO Conventions.
This process involves strengthening the rank and file among the staff of the EIB, which is the reason why USL is launching this awareness-raising campaign at the EIB.
An information meeting is scheduled for 23 September at 14.30, in the EIB, WKI room CA. The following topics will be discussed:
- Legal opinion on recent EIB Court cases
Secondly, it will be necessary to arrange the election of USL representatives from among the local membership, and in parallel, set up the USL delegation within the EIB.
So that you can get better acquainted with our union organisation, please visit our website www.uslux.eu. There, you will find out about our structure, our rules, the services that we offer members (training, legal assistance) as well as important issues on which Union Syndicale is working at present, i.e. defending the interests of contract staff, the introduction of a weighting to reflect living costs in Luxembourg, and upholding a high-quality, permanent European civil service.
We are also sending you various documents issued by USL (EN and FR versions), including our action plan aimed at highlighting the benefits and guarantees of assistance involved in USL membership, as well as some testimonials from colleagues.
Of course, we remain entirely at your disposal and hope to see you soon as USL members, and therefore directly involved in tackling the many challenges that the building of Europe currently faces.
With kind regards,